Franken walks back defense of event with Kathy Griffin
© Getty

Sen. Al FrankenAlan (Al) Stuart FrankenWinners and losers from first fundraising quarter Election analyst says Gillibrand doesn't have 'horsepower to go the full distance' Gillibrand campaign links low fundraising to Al Franken backlash: memo MORE (D-Minn.) on Thursday walked back his previous defense of a joint appearance with Kathy Griffin planned for an upcoming event, encouraging her not to attend.

Franken said he faced backlash for keeping the planned appearance after Griffin posed with a fake decapitated head that resembled President Trump.

ADVERTISEMENT

"After hearing from many Minnesotans who were rightfully offended, I've come to the conclusion that it would be best for her not to participate in the event we had previously scheduled. I understand why Minnesotans were upset by this, and I take that very seriously," Franken said Thursday, according to Politico.

The change of plans comes a day after Franken said during a town hall discussion Wednesday that he still planned on making a joint appearance with Griffin at the event because she had asked for forgiveness.

"She not only asked for forgiveness, but she begged for forgiveness," Franken said on SiriusXM’s POTUS Channel Wednesday.

Franken denounced the photo, calling it  “very unfortunate” and "unacceptable."

“Well, when I saw this image, I said this is unacceptable. I condemned it,” he added.

Griffin apologized Tuesday after widespread outrage over the photo.

“I sincerely apologize,” Griffin said in a video on Twitter. “I went way too far. The image is too disturbing. I understand how it offends people. It wasn’t funny. I get it. I made a mistake and I was wrong.”