Charlottesville denies white nationalists' anniversary rally permits for next year
© Getty Images

The city of Charlottesville, Va., has reportedly rejected the applications of white nationalists seeking permits to host a Unite the Right rally on the anniversary of this year's deadly event, citing public safety concerns.

The city turned down five special-event permit applications in and around the park that is home to the statue of Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee, city spokeswoman Miriam Dickler told The Daily Progress on Monday.

“The proposed demonstration or special event presents a danger to public safety and it cannot be accommodate within a reasonable allocation of city funds and/or police resources,” the notices say, according to the paper.

ADVERTISEMENT

The decision comes after white supremacist groups converged on the college town in August, carrying tiki torches and Confederate flags, while chanting "Jews will not replace us" and other racist slogans.

The hate groups, protesting the removal of the monument, clashed with counterprotesters as violent street brawls erupted.

The event took a bloody turn after one man linked with the white supremacist groups allegedly drove his car into a crowd of people, killing one woman and injuring at least 19 others.

Jason Kessler, the rally's organizer and a self-described “pro-white” activist, submitted the applications late last month, saying the anniversary event aimed to memorialize “the sacrifices made by political dissidents” in August and “rally against civil rights abuse,” according to the report. 

President TrumpDonald TrumpEx-Trump lawyer Cohen to pen forward for impeachment book Murkowski says it would be 'appropriate' to bar Trump from holding office again Man known as 'QAnon Shaman' asks Trump for pardon after storming Capitol MORE came under fire for blaming "both sides" for the violence, fueling outraged critics who said he failed to condemn racism after saying there were "fine people" on both sides.