Alberto Gonzales: 'I have no confidence whatsoever' in Nunes memo
© Getty

Former Attorney General Alberto Gonzalez slammed a Republican-drafted memo alledging surveillance at the Department of Justice on Friday, saying he did not have any confidence in the controversial document.

“I have no confidence whatsoever in what’s going to come out of the House,” the former attorney general under George W. Bush told Time magazine, adding, "Nunes seems to be part of the Trump team.” 

The memo was drafted by staffers for House Intelligence Committee Chairman Devin NunesDevin Gerald NunesProposed California maps put incumbents in jeopardy Devin Nunes's family ordered to reveal who is paying for defamation lawsuit Three key behind-the-scenes figures in Jan. 6 probe MORE (R-Calif.). 

ADVERTISEMENT

Democrats and the intelligence community have spoken out against its publication, saying the information is misleading and could reveal sensitive intelligence sources and methods. Nunes has called those claims "spurious." 

The committee's ranking Democrat, Rep. Adam SchiffAdam Bennett SchiffJan. 6 panel faces new test as first witness pleads the Fifth Jan. 6 panel releases contempt report on Trump DOJ official ahead of censure vote The Hill's Morning Report - Presented by Facebook - Biden to update Americans on omicron; Congress back MORE (Calif.), accused Nunes of altering the memo before its release, but the chairman said he simply made grammatical changes and additions requested by Schiff and the FBI. 

Gonzalez faced backlash during his tenure as attorney general under the Bush administration when he authored a memo that concluded that parts of the Geneva Convention on Prisoners of War were outdated in regard to handling captured Taliban and al Qaeda fighters. 

The memo had been produced as a response to a CIA request for clarification of interrogations standards in the U.S.