Suspect confessed to school shooting, had more ammo in backpack: report
© Getty Images

The suspected gunman in a South Florida school shooting confessed on Thursday to gunning down numerous individuals and killing seventeen people at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School on Wednesday, according to The Associated Press. 

Nineteen-year-old Nikolas Cruz told police that he “began shooting students that he saw in the hallways and on school grounds."

Cruz, the suspected gunman in the tragic shooting, confessed to the Broward County Sheriff Department on Thursday, according to The Associated Press.

Cruz told police that he “began shooting students that he saw in the hallways and on school grounds."

ADVERTISEMENT

The AP reports Cruz said he “brought additional loaded magazines to the school campus and kept them hidden in a backpack until he got on campus to begin his assault.”

Once students began to run, Cruz said he discarded his AR-15 rifle and a vest that he was wearing in an effort to blend in with the crowd of people. 

Cruz purchased the rifle used in Wednesday's shooting in February of 2017, but where he purchased the weapon is unknown.

A Florida judge on Thursday ruled that Cruz would be held without bond on 17 counts of murder. 

Reports surfaced on Thursday that the FBI was warned last year about a threat from a YouTube user with the same name as Cruz.