Family of Santa Fe school shooting victim sues suspect's parents
© Getty Images

The family of a student killed in this month's shooting at a Santa Fe, Texas, high school are suing the parents of the suspected shooter, according to the Associated Press.

The family alleges that the suspect's father, who reportedly owned the guns used in the attack, did not properly secure his weapons.

AP reported Friday that Christopher Stone and Rosie Yanas, whose 17-year-old son, Chris, was killed in the attack, are suing the parents of fellow student, Dimitrios Pagourtzis, who was charged with capital murder in the shooting.

ADVERTISEMENT

Stone and Yanas's lawsuit also alleges that Pagourtzis's family did not obtain mental health counseling for their son or warn the public about their son's “dangerous propensities.”

Police found journal entries and social media posts referencing violence and the desire to commit an attack, according to Texas Gov. Greg Abbott (R).

At least 10 people were killed in the attack at Santa Fe High School on May 18, which reportedly began when Pagourtzis opened fire in an art classroom.

Rep. Randy WeberRandall (Randy) Keith WeberTo protect the environment, Trump should investigate Russian collusion Family of Santa Fe school shooting victim sues suspect's parents Santa Fe shooting suspect reportedly killed girl who turned down his advances MORE (R-Texas), who represents the district, said at a press conference that the community would "work together" following the tragedy, likening it to Hurricane Harvey relief efforts the area shouldered after the storm last year.

"This is the second time in eight months that we've gone through tragedy," Weber said.

"We will pull together," he added. "We will grieve together, we will love one another, we will work together. We did it after Harvey, still doing it after Harvey, we'll do it after this."