RNC chairwoman, Labor secretary pull out of annual Latino conference
© Getty Images

Republican National Committee (RNC) chairwoman Ronna Romney McDaniel and Labor Secretary Alexander AcostaRene (Alex) Alexander AcostaHow private sector can fight opioid epidemic Federal mine safety official accused Trump of illegally putting miners in danger Here are the administration officials who have denied they wrote the anonymous NYT op-ed MORE pulled out of the National Association of Latino Elected Officials’ (NALEO) annual conference this week, according to the organization. 

Organizers announced on Wednesday that McDaniel canceled her address to the organization, which was slated to take place on Friday. 

“Getting this last minute cancellation is deeply disappointing especially at a moment when the folks are gathering here are trying to understand what the direction of the country is,” NALEO's executive director Arturo Vargas said in a statement obtained by Politico.

Vargas said the decision was particularly concerning given mounting tensions surrounding migrant family separations at the U.S.–Mexico border.

ADVERTISEMENT

Vargas said that the invitation was sent last November, and had been confirmed in recent weeks, according to Politico. 

A RNC official told the outlet that McDaniel had to pull out due to “an unexpected scheduling conflict,” and that “she also cancelled other events in the state that day." 

The official added that the committee continues to support NALEO. 

Vargas told Politico that Acosta, who is the highest-ranking Latino in Trump's administration, pulled out of the event, citing a desire to stay in Washington for a policy rollout. 

The Hill has reached out to the Department of Labor and RNC for comment. 

News of the cancellations come after President TrumpDonald John TrumpHannity urges Trump not to fire 'anybody' after Rosenstein report Ben Carson appears to tie allegation against Kavanaugh to socialist plot Five takeaways from Cruz, O'Rourke's fiery first debate MORE on Wednesday signed an executive order intended to end migrant family separations at the southern border. Trump, in a rare move, gave in to bipartisan pressure to end the widely condemned policy that his administration implemented earlier this year.