News

5 people dead in shooting at Annapolis newspaper

At least five people are dead and several injured after a shooting Thursday at the headquarters for the Capital Gazette newspaper in Annapolis, Md., according to officials.

Police on Thursday night identified five employees of the newspaper who were killed, including several editors, writers and a sales assistant. 

“This was a targeted attack on the Capital Gazette,” acting Anne Arundel County police chief William Krampf said during a press conference.

{mosads}Krampf said the suspect, described as a white male in his late 30’s, entered the building with a shotgun and “looked for his victims as he walked through the lower level.”

Authorities said they only have one suspect in the investigation at this time and they have not publicly identified the person, who is in custody.

However, multiple media reports have identified the suspect as 38-year-old Jarrod Ramos, who previously sued the Capital Gazette for defamation in 2012 but had his case thrown out by a judge.

Lt. Ryan Frashure, a spokesperson for the Anne Arundel County Police, told reporters Thursday that officers arrived on the scene about a minute after a call was made for shots fired. He said officers then engaged the suspect.

“The investigation has just started. So as [Frashure] has said, we’re going to be quite a while determining what occurred, how it occurred, and why it occurred,” Krampf said.

Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan (R) wrote on Twitter that he was “absolutely devastated to learn of this tragedy in Annapolis,” adding that he was in contact with officials responding to the situation.

“Please, heed all warnings and stay away from the area. Praying for those at the scene and for our community,” Hogan tweeted.

President Trump has been briefed on the shooting, according to White House spokeswoman Lindsay Walters, who said “our thoughts and prayers are with all that are affected.”

The Baltimore Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) also said it is responding to the scene.

Phil Davis, a crime reporter at the Capital Gazette, tweeted that a single gunman opened fire on multiple employees. 

“Can’t say much more and don’t want to declare anyone dead, but it’s bad,” Davis tweeted.

The Baltimore Sun, which owns the newspaper, reported that police were also present at the Sun offices doing a precautionary sweep of the facility. A spokesman for Baltimore police later said that an all-clear had been given at those offices.

Lawmakers representing the area and state quickly tweeted their thoughts following reports of the shooting. 

Rep. John Sarbanes‏ (D-Md.) tweeted that he was monitoring the situation and working with law enforcement on developments.

Sen. Ben Cardin (D-Md.) tweeted that his “heart is with Capital Gazette and the people of Annapolis right now” while Sen. Chris Van Hollen (D-Md.) tweeted that “we must unite to end the violence.”

– Brett Samuels contributed

Updated at 11:15 p.m. 

Tags Annapolis Baltimore Sun Ben Cardin Capital Gazette Chris Van Hollen Donald Trump John Sarbanes Maryland Shooting

The Hill has removed its comment section, as there are many other forums for readers to participate in the conversation. We invite you to join the discussion on Facebook and Twitter.

Most Popular

Load more

Video

See all Video