Man who vandalized Trump’s Walk of Fame star bailed out by person who did it years ago: report
The man who used a pickax to vandalize President Trump’s star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame this week will reportedly be bailed out by a man who vandalized the star years ago.
Los Angeles Police said that Austin Clay claimed responsibility for vandalizing Trump’s star early Wednesday and turned himself in at the Beverly Hills police headquarters later in the day. Clay had called police right after damaging the plaque, according to the Los Angeles Times.
Lt. Karen Leong of the Los Angeles Police Department’s Hollywood Division told the local paper that Clay “called police and advised he had vandalized Donald Trump’s star and basically called on himself and said, ‘See you soon.’ ”
Clay was booked on suspicion of felony vandalism for the incident and was being held on $20,000 bail.
Shortly after Clay’s arrest, however, James Otis — who previously vandalized the star with a sledgehammer and pickax days before the November 2016 election — was reportedly working to bail Clay out, according to TMZ.
Otis, who captured national headlines for the 2016 incident, later pleaded no contest to felony vandalism in February 2017 and was sentenced to three years of probation and 20 days of community service as well as $4,400 in fines.