Police find no motive, no second shooter in final report on Las Vegas shooting
© Getty Images

Authorities are closing their investigation into the deadliest mass shooting in modern U.S. history, saying they could not determine a motive in last year’s shooting in Las Vegas.

Clark County Sheriff Joe Lombardo said Friday that police determined there was no evidence of a second gunman, though they were not able to determine why Stephen Paddock opened fire on a Las Vegas concert crowd, killing 58 and injuring hundreds more, The Associated Press reported.

ADVERTISEMENT

"What we have been able to answer are the questions of who, what, when, where and how," Lombardo said. "What we have not been able to definitively answer is ... why Stephen Paddock committed this act."

Police say Paddock fired across Las Vegas Boulevard into the crowd from his room on the 32nd floor of the Mandalay Bay Resort and Casino.

Lombardo said no one else will be charged in the shooting, according to the AP.

"Today it is still incredibly difficult to try to comprehend this senseless act of violence," the sheriff said, calling Paddock an “unremarkable man” who showed signs of a troubled mind ahead of the shooting.

One other man has been charged in connection with the shooting. Douglas Haig has pleaded not guilty to selling illegal bullets found in Paddock’s room, claiming he sold a different type of ammunition, the AP reported.

MGM Resorts International, which owns the Mandalay Bay and the concert, the Route 91 Harvest Festival, has filed lawsuits against more than 1,000 of the shooting victims in an attempt to shield the company from liability in the shooting.