Judge not changing venue in trial of Charlottesville suspect: reports
© Getty Images

The trial for the man accused of killing a counter-protester at the white nationalist “Unite the Right” rally last year in Charlottesville, Va., is moving forward in the Virginia town despite his attorney's request to move it.

Judge Richard E. Moore on Thursday took a motion to move the trial for James Alex Fields under advisement, saying that he thinks an impartial jury can be selected, The Daily Progress reported.  

ADVERTISEMENT

“You’d have to be isolated to not have been affected by last year’s events,” Moore said. “But not everyone is affected in the same way.”

Fields faces 10 felony charges in the death of Heather Heyer, including first degree murder. Prosecutors say he drove his car into a crowd of protesters, killing Heyer and injuring several others.

He separately faces 30 federal charges, including 28 counts of hate crime acts.

Fields’ attorney, Denise Lunsford, argued in a motion filed earlier this month that the significant media coverage of the “Unite the Right” rally would prevent a fair trial for Fields.

“Community prejudice against Fields in the City of Charlottesville, the impact of the events on the Charlottesville residents and the widespread publicity this case has received are reasonably certain to prevent a fair and reasonable trial,” the motion reads, according to USA Today.

By taking the motion under advisement, as prosecutors requested, Moore can revisit the motion if an impartial 12-person jury can’t be found. 

The jury pool could include up to 360 people, according to Charlottesville's local NBC station.

The judge reportedly said Thursday, however, that many people in Charlottesville don’t follow the news closely and that he believes an objective jury can be selected.

The trial of Fields scheduled to begin November 26.