Christine Blasey Ford makes rare public statement: ‘I feel hopeful that our lives will return to normal’
© Getty Images

Christine Blasey Ford in a rare public statement is thanking supporters for donations that she says will be used to get her family's lives back in order following the frenzy surrounding her accusations against Supreme Court Justice Brett KavanaughBrett Michael KavanaughTrump goes after New York Times, Washington Post: 'They have gone totally CRAZY!!!!' Trump decries whistleblower story as 'another media disaster' The Hill's Morning Report — Trump's new controversy MORE.

Ford, one of several women who came forward with allegations of sexual misconduct against Kavanaugh during his confirmation process, wrote last Wednesday that GoFundMe supporters had been a "godsend" in the days following her public testimony on Capitol Hill.

ADVERTISEMENT

"With immense gratitude, I am closing this account to further contributions. All funds unused after completion of security expenditures will be donated to organizations that support trauma survivors," the college professor wrote.

"The funds you have sent through GoFundMe have been a godsend. Your donations have allowed us to take reasonable steps to protect ourselves against frightening threats, including physical protection and security for me and my family, and to enhance the security for our home," she added.

Ford said in the post, first noted by CBS News, that her family had begun scaling back security guards hired to protect them after threats were received during and in the weeks after her testimony, which galvanized Kavanaugh's supporters and critics alike in the days leading up to the justice's confirmation to the Supreme Court.

"Words are not adequate to thank all of you who supported me since I came forward to tell the Senate that I had been sexually assaulted by Brett Kavanaugh," she said. "Because of your support, I feel hopeful that our lives will return to normal."

Kavanaugh was confirmed to the court last month on a mostly party-line vote after a contentious confirmation process and days of protests in the Senate.

Ford, who was the only woman to testify publicly about the allegations, said at the time through attorneys that death threats aimed at her family had forced them to move during the hearings.