Roger StoneRoger Jason StoneHillicon Valley: Senate panel subpoenas Roger Stone associate | Streaming giants hit with privacy complaints in Europe | FTC reportedly discussing record fine for Facebook | PayPal offering cash advances to unpaid federal workers Senate panel subpoenas Roger Stone associate Jerome Corsi Corsi says stepson subpoenaed to testify before grand jury in Mueller investigation MORE, a former informal adviser to President TrumpDonald John TrumpSunday shows preview: Shutdown negotiations continue after White House immigration proposal Rove warns Senate GOP: Don't put only focus on base Ann Coulter blasts Trump shutdown compromise: ‘We voted for Trump and got Jeb!’ MORE, on Monday settled a defamation suit that sought $100 million in damages over material he published on InfoWars.com, according to The Wall Street Journal, admitting that he made false statements on the far-right website.

The settlement includes an agreement that mandates Stone run ads in newspapers apologizing for making defamatory statements about Chinese businessman Guo Wengui. The agreement also requires Stone to post a retraction of the false statements he made on social media. 

Acting on the requirements will reportedly exempt Stone from paying any damages. 

ADVERTISEMENT

“I am solely responsible for fulfilling the terms of the settlement," Stone said in a text message to the Journal, adding that his past conduct was "irresponsible."

The settlement comes about nine months after Guo, a Chinese businessman who is a vocal critic of the Chinese government, filed a lawsuit against the longtime political operative. 

Guo said he was suing Stone for falsely accusing him of being a “turncoat criminal who is convicted of crimes here and in China," according to the Journal. The lawsuit also said that Stone accused Guo of violating U.S. election laws by making political donations to 2016 Democratic presidential nominee Hillary ClintonHillary Diane Rodham ClintonConservatives pound BuzzFeed, media over Cohen report BuzzFeed story has more to say about media than the president Trump knocks BuzzFeed over Cohen report, points to Russia dossier MORE, the Journal reported. 

Stone's settlement statement identifies Bruno Wu, a Chinese-American media tycoon, as the “the apparent source of the information” about Guo. Stone says that this information was relayed to him by former Trump aide Sam Nunberg. 

Stone said in a statement to The Hill that he "made the error of relying on the representations of Nunberg in my report on this matter and for that I apologized."

Nunberg declined to comment to the Journal.

The settlement from Stone comes as he faces growing scrutiny as part of special counsel Robert MuellerRobert Swan MuellerSasse: US should applaud choice of Mueller to lead Russia probe MORE's probe into Russia's election interference. 

Mueller is investigating if Stone and his associate Jerome Corsi were aware of WikiLeaks's plans to publish hacked emails from Clinton and the Democratic National Committee during the 2016 presidential race. 

Stone has repeatedly denied having advanced knowledge of the organization’s plans.

Rep. Adam SchiffAdam Bennett SchiffSunday shows preview: Shutdown negotiations continue after White House immigration proposal Dems revive impeachment talk after latest Cohen bombshell Giuliani calls latest Cohen allegations 'categorically false' MORE (D-Calif.), who is expected to become the House Intelligence Committee chairman, said Sunday "there’s ample reason to be concerned about" Stone's "truthfulness."

"If Mr. Schiff has any proof that I had advance knowledge of the source or content of the allegedly hacked or stolen emails published by Wikileaks or that I received anything of the kind I challenge him to produce it," Stone said in an email to The Hill earlier this month. 

Updated at 10:58 p.m.