US Attorney's Office in Miami recuses itself from Epstein case
© Greg Nash

The U.S. Attorney's Office in Miami has recused itself from renewed litigation against financier Jeffrey Epstein, who was accused by more than 30 girls of sexual abuse, the Miami Herald reported Tuesday.

Federal prosecutors notified the victims of their recusal in a letter Monday, and the Justice Department has reassigned the case to the U.S. Attorney’s Office in Atlanta, according to the Herald.

ADVERTISEMENT

The case will now be overseen by Byung J. Pak, U.S. attorney for the Northern District of Georgia who was appointed by President TrumpDonald TrumpTrump DOJ demanded metadata on 73 phone numbers and 36 email addresses, Apple says Putin says he's optimistic about working with Biden ahead of planned meeting Biden meets Queen Elizabeth for first time as president MORE in 2017.

A U.S. district judge in Palm Beach County, Florida, last month reportedly ruled that Miami prosecutors, under former U.S. attorney and current Labor Secretary Alexander AcostaAlex Alexander AcostaOn The Money: Trump slams relief bill, calls on Congress to increase stimulus money | Biden faces new critical deadlines after relief package | Labor rule allows restaurants to require broader tip pooling Labor rule allows restaurants to require broader tip pooling Federal litigator files complaint alleging Labor secretary abused his authority MORE, illegally hid Epstein's plea agreement from his victims. The judge, Kenneth A. Marra, did not void the agreement.

The case garnered national attention following a Miami Herald investigation that found Epstein, a friend of both Trump and former President Clinton, pleaded guilty to two prostitution charges and was sentenced to 13 months in jail. Potential co-conspirators were given immunity under the deal.

Attorneys for the women have requested that the Justice Department discard Epstein's agreement and reopen the criminal case against him.