Mario Batali gives up stake in all his restaurants

Celebrity chef Mario Batali gave up his stake in all restaurants associated with him Wednesday, a year after multiple women accused him of sexual assault, The New York Times reports.

Batali was formally removed from his 20-year partnership with the Bastianich family of restaurateurs, giving them full control of the group’s 16 restaurants.

ADVERTISEMENT

The chef “will no longer profit from the restaurants in any way, shape or form,” Tanya Bastianich Manuali, who will head day-to-day operations at a new company, told the Times.

Batali is also selling his shares of luxury Italian supermarket chain Eataly.

“Eataly is in the process of acquiring Mr. Batali’s minority interest in Eataly USA,” spokesman Chris Giglio told the Times.

Batali issued a statement on Wednesday morning confirming the split with the Bastianich family, but declined further requests for comment from the Times.

“I have reached an agreement with Joe [Bastianich] and no longer have any stake in the restaurants we built together," he said. "I wish him the best of luck in the future.” 

Four women came forward last year to allege that Batali touched them inappropriately over the last two decades.

The chef apologized the actions, acknowledging the "many mistakes" that Batali says he's made.

Six Batali & Bastianich Hospitality Group restaurants closed soon after the accusations were made.