Video shows officer shooting 14-year-old soon after asking to see his hands
© ABC News

An Oklahoma police officer shot and injured a 14-year-old boy he believed to be armed less than a second after ordering him to show his hands, according to video released by a lawyer for the teen's family. 

The incident occurred on March 10 after the Oklahoma City Police Department received a call that a group of individuals, some of them who were described as being armed, were breaking into a residence. 

ADVERTISEMENT

The police said in a news release at the time that officers heard "possible gunshots" as they arrived on the scene. 

ABC News, citing body cam footage that lasts almost three minutes, reported that an officer, identified as Sgt. Kyle Holcomb, can be heard shouting,  "Hey, police department, come on out."

The officer, carrying a gun in his right hand and a radio in his left, can then be heard stating that the thinks he sees a "cap gun." 

"They are shooting something off," he says, before he reaches a part of a fence with an opening. 

Video then shows the officer shouting, "Show me your hands. Drop it!" He fires shots through a gap in the fence a moment later. Holcomb, who has served in the police for more than nine years, can be heard shouting "drop the gun" after firing the initial shots. 

The officer later approaches the teen, Lorenzo Clerkley Jr., as he is on his stomach and on his back, ABC News noted. The news network added that the officer identified bullet holes on the teen's side and his upper leg. 

Police said in a statement in March that "the suspect did not comply with the orders and Sergeant Holcomb discharged his firearm and struck the suspect."

Police stated later that they discovered a BB gun at the scene that looked like an authentic firearm, ABC News noted. 

But Clerkley's family has taken issue with the police's version of the events. The family has acknowledged that the teens were playing with BB guns, but say the teen was not armed when the officer shouted orders at him. 

"Sergeant Holcomb did not give Lorenzo time to comply with his commands, and did not have probable cause to believe that Lorenzo posed a threat of serious physical harm to anyone when he began shooting," Daniel Smolen, a lawyer for the family, said in a statement to ABC News.

"Further, Holcomb had the cover and protection of the wooden fence when he encountered Lorenzo, who was a safe distance away. And there is no evidence that Lorenzo verbally threatened anyone, physically threatened anyone, attempted to evade arrest or otherwise resisted arrest," he added.

"There was simply no justification for Sergeant Holcomb to shoot this young man."

Police said in March that Clerkley was taken to the hospital for "non-life threatening" injuries. Holcomb was placed on administrative leave immediately after the incident, but has since rejoined the force.

An Oklahoma County prosecutor elected not to file criminal charges against Holcomb last month, according to CNN.

Clerkley and others have been charged as juveniles with breaking and entering, CNN reported.

An internal investigation of the incident from Oklahoma City police is still ongoing.