9/11 first responder says no meeting is scheduled with Trump
© Aaron Schwartz

One of several 9/11 first responders who has lobbied Congress to extend their compensation fund says he has no plans to meet with President TrumpDonald John Trump Former US ambassador: 'Denmark is not a big fan of Donald Trump and his politics' Senate Democrats push for arms control language in defense policy bill Detroit county sheriff endorses Booker for president MORE before the Senate votes on an extension, according to CNN.

"There's no meeting yet, and frankly, the White House isn't even needed yet," John Feal told CNN’s “New Day” on Tuesday. "Let them deal with that when we get past the Senate."

ADVERTISEMENT

In an interview that aired on Sunday’s “Meet the Press,” Trump said he was “very impressed” by testimony from Jon Stewart urging Congress to extend the September 11th Victim Compensation Fund, which is set to expire next year.

"I actually have a meeting on that subject next week. So we'll see what happens," Trump told NBC’s Chuck ToddCharles (Chuck) David ToddBret Baier calls out Trump for lashing out at Fox News polls: 'Fox has not changed' White House offers reassurances amid recession fears as 2020 candidates sound alarm Possible GOP challenger says Trump doesn't deserve reelection, but would vote for him over Democrat MORE.

Feal told CNN’s Alisyn Camerota that he and his fellow first responders are prioritizing their meeting with Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnellAddison (Mitch) Mitchell McConnellGOP group calls on Republican senators to stand up to McConnell on election security in new ads The Hill's Morning Report - Trump hews to NRA on guns and eyes lower taxes Hobbled NRA shows strength with Trump MORE (R-Ky.), set for Tuesday.

“[A]nything that happens after that, the White House can get involved,” Feal said, adding that while he could not speak for the White House, he was not aware of any forthcoming White House meetings.

“I'm privileged to pretty much everything. I know of no meeting," he told CNN.

Feal previously met with McConnell in 2010 and 2015, the last time the fund was renewed.

Stewart has accused McConnell of exploiting the fight over the funding, saying earlier this month on “Fox News Sunday” that the majority leader “has always held out until the very last minute, and only then, under intense lobbying and public shaming, has he even deigned to move on it.”

McConnell responded to the criticism last week, saying “we've never left the 9/11 victims behind, and we won't again."

The House Judiciary Committee last week advanced a bill that would renew funding for the fund through 2090.

The White House did not immediately respond to a request for comment from The Hill.