Hundreds of Jewish protesters and others descended on the streets of Boston on Tuesday afternoon, shutting down traffic in opposition to the nationwide detention of undocumented migrants and calling for President TrumpDonald TrumpSenators introduce bipartisan infrastructure bill in rare Sunday session Gosar's siblings pen op-ed urging for his resignation: 'You are immune to shame' Sunday shows - Delta variant, infrastructure dominate MORE to “close the camps,” The Boston Globe reports.

According to the newspaper, more than 1,000 protesters trekked throughout downtown Boston amid rush-hour traffic, singing songs such as “Zog Nit Keyn Mol,” an anthem of Holocaust survivors, and chanting, “Never again.”

The demonstration was reportedly organized by a group of Jewish activists and made several stops across the city on Tuesday evening, including at a local jail where more than a hundred undocumented migrants were being detained. 

“When we grew up hearing the words ‘never again,’ it’s referring to a moment like this,” 23-year-old Michaela Caplan, who helped organized the demonstration, told the Globe.

“The Holocaust did not just appear on the map. It was years of dehumanization, years of violent rhetoric, years of communities being denied basic rights,” Caplan, whose grandmother was a survivor of the Auschwitz concentration camp, also told the paper.

The protest comes shortly after more than 300 scholars signed on to a letter calling for the U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum to retract a statement it made earlier this year that dismissed comparisons between detention facilities and concentration camps.

"The Museum’s decision to completely reject drawing any possible analogies to the Holocaust, or to the events leading up to it, is fundamentally ahistorical," the scholars said in the letter.

"It has the potential to inflict severe damage on the Museum’s ability to continue its role as a credible, leading global institution dedicated to Holocaust memory, Holocaust education, and research in the field of Holocaust and genocide studies,” the letter continued.

The letter came in response to a statement the museum released last month after Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-CortezAlexandria Ocasio-CortezOcasio-Cortez: 'More than enough' votes to prevent infrastructure from passing without reconciliation bill Manchin: 'I can't really guarantee anybody' reconciliation package will pass Sunday shows - Delta variant, infrastructure dominate MORE (D-N.Y.) sparked backlash for comparing detention facilities to concentration camps. 

The museum said then that it "unequivocally rejects efforts to create analogies between the Holocaust and other events, whether historical or contemporary."