A black couple said that their engagement was interrupted three times due to racial profiling in a now-viral Facebook post.

Cathy-Marie Hamlet shared that she; her fiancé, Clyde Jackson, and six friends drove from New York City to Angry Orchard’s farm in Walden, N.Y., Sunday to celebrate her fiancé’s birthday. While they were there, Jackson planned on proposing to Hamlet before he was accused of stealing a T-shirt from the farm’s gift shop. 

“My boyfriend walked me out to an empty table on the lawn, and before we could sit down, a young lady from security approached us and said to him, ‘I’m sorry sir, but I have to check you back pocket. I was told that you stole a T-shirt from from the gift store.’ My boyfriend then emptied all of his pockets, while still trying to keep the ring box hidden from my sight,” Hamlet wrote on Facebook.


NBC News originally reported Hamlet’s name. Her name is listed as Marie Cleone on Facebook.

“She then walked away, and my boyfriend and I sat down at the table and he began his proposal speech. MID PROPOSAL, the same young lady from security walks back towards and says to me, 'I’m sorry, I need to check your bag. I was told that he gave it to you, and you put it in your bag,' ” she continued.

Hamlet said she told the security guard she knew she was “just doing your job,” but that she could not “help but wonder if this is because we’re Black. We’re the only Black people here at your establishment.” 

After, Jackson finished proposing and Hamlet said yes. When their friends came to celebrate with the couple, more security approached the group and said they needed to search everyone’s pockets and bags.

Hamlet accused security of “getting aggressive” and yelling that they did steal the shirt.

“I have never been so humiliated in my life, myself and some of my friends left Angry Orchard in tears,” Hamlet wrote “On what was supposed to be one of the best days of my life, I was chased out of Angry Orchard by security who followed us all the way to the parking lot.”

Angry Orchard released a statement Tuesday about the incident. The company apologized and said they replaced the security team members working on Sunday and their manager. They added that they are implementing mandatory security training and implicit bias training.

“As soon as we learned about this incident, we launched an investigation into what happened and got in touch directly with the guest involved to express our sincerest apology and offer to make it right. We recognize that we badly mishandled this situation and our team’s response was inexcusable,” The company wrote on Facebook.