Philadelphia, San Francisco appearances for Plácido Domingo canceled amid sexual harassment claims
© Getty

Venues in two cities have canceled upcoming appearances for opera star Plácido Domingo after multiple women accused him of sexual harassment.

The San Francisco Opera announced Tuesday it would cancel a planned October concert in which Domingo was expected to perform, while the Philadelphia Orchestra has rescinded an invitation for him to perform next month.

ADVERTISEMENT

The San Francisco event was set to mark Domingo's 50th anniversary with the opera company and had been billed as a performance by “one of the most influential singing actors in the history of opera" prior to its cancellation. 

The appearances were scrapped after nine women, eight singers and a dancer, accused Domingo of decades of sexual harassment in a story published by The Associated Press. The women said the alleged harassment began in the 1980s and occurred at multiple opera companies at which Domingo held managerial roles.

Domingo has denied the allegations, calling them "inaccurate" in a statement released to the AP. The 78-year-old is also accused of threatening to retaliate against women who spurned his sexual advances.

“I believed that all of my interactions and relationships were always welcomed and consensual," he said, while adding that the accusations were “deeply troubling and, as presented inaccurate."

“However, I recognize that the rules and standards by which we are — and should be — measured against today are very different than they were in the past. I am blessed and privileged to have had a more than 50-year career in opera and will hold myself to the highest standards,” Domingo added.