Iowa man pleads guilty to making threats against Trump, planning to bomb White House
© Greg Nash

A 25-year-old man on Tuesday pleaded guilty in an Iowa court to making threats against President TrumpDonald John TrumpLawmakers release defense bill with parental leave-for-Space-Force deal House Democrats expected to unveil articles of impeachment Tuesday Houston police chief excoriates McConnell, Cornyn and Cruz on gun violence MORE, including hatching a plot detonate bombs at the White House.

Christian Delatorre was convicted in a U.S. district court of willfully threatening to take the life or inflict serious bodily harm upon the president, reported The Gazette of Cedar Rapids, Iowa.

ADVERTISEMENT

A Secret Service agent met with Delatorre at Mercy Hospital in Dubuque, Iowa, on April 29. Delatorre spoke about “assassinating” Trump while receiving treatment at the hospital and a psychiatric nurse notified officials, according to a criminal complaint obtained by the outlet.

He said was “planning and revising his plan to attack President Trump every day for over the past year.”

A list of bomb-making materials was found on Delatorre’s cellphone, as well as floor plans to the White House and a bus reservation from Dubuque to Washington, D.C., according to the plea agreement.

Officials also found documents about Delatorre’s plan to use decoys to distract White House security and activate the bombs via drones.

He said that he would take “suicide” actions to carry out the threat if his plan was unsuccessful, according to the complaint. 

Delatorre also reportedly said that he was “obsessed” with guns and knives, sharpening blades to relieve stress.

The patient said he was “infuriated” that Trump talked about sending immigrants back to their home countries, according to the complaint. Delatorre said he was also upset that the president was “mocking” people and described Trump’s behavior as “unpresidential.”

The complaint obtained by the newspaper noted that Delatorre had previously made threats to kill the president in 2012, 2015 and 2018.

He will be sentenced at a later date, according to The Gazette. He faces up to five years in federal prison, a fine of $250,000 and three years of supervised released following any prison time.

In addition to the federal charges against him, Delatorre will appear in Dubuque Country District Court on Dec. 3 for two counts of threatening to blow up the hospital.