A Democratic-allied group focused on defending the Affordable Care Act released a new ad this week blasting President TrumpDonald TrumpTrump takes shot at new GOP candidate in Ohio over Cleveland nickname GOP political operatives indicted over illegal campaign contribution from Russian national in 2016 On The Money — Dems dare GOP to vote for shutdown, default MORE’s handling of travel restrictions from China amid the coronavirus pandemic.
“President Trump bungled the response to coronavirus from day one, and the China travel ban he brags about? That failed, too," begins the ad from the organization Protect Our Care.
"Forty-six countries restricted travel from China before Trump did. Nearly 400,000 people traveled here from China before his restrictions were in place, and 40,000 people have arrived here since."
“President Trump’s failure to act in the face of this pandemic has made America less safe,” the ad continues.
The Trump administration first imposed travel restrictions from China into the United States on Jan. 31, with the restriction going into effect on Feb. 2. Dozens of countries had announced restrictions on travel from China in the days before America.
Trump told reporters on April 2 that “When I did China, it had never been done before. I was the first one to do it. Remember that. It had never — according to what I read in all the papers, this had never been done.” A fact-check from The Washington Post found that 38 countries took action before or at the same time the Trump administration’s restrictions were released.
The Washington Post did not include countries that took more limited actions than the United States.
“President Trump asserted global leadership by making the U.S. the first major economic power to announce restrictions on foreign nationals traveling from China,” a senior administration official told the newspaper. “The President’s swift decision came only one day after the World Health Organization declared novel coronavirus outbreak a public health emergency of international concern. The President’s decisiveness paved the way for other nations to follow suit, saving countless lives around the world.”
The New York Times reported last week that 430,000 people traveled from China to the U.S. since the coronavirus surfaced. The Times also reported that nearly 40,000 Americans and other authorized travelers have entered the U.S. since the restrictions.
Protect Our Care has previously blasted the Trump administration’s response to the coronavirus pandemic. The group launched a five-figure ad buy in Michigan, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin last week saying that “families need a steady and trusted leader, but Donald Trump has failed that test.”
“President Trump’s failure to prepare America for the coronavirus crisis has made Michigan less safe,” a narrator says in the ad targeting that state.
“We don’t have nearly enough tests. Our hospitals are overwhelmed. Doctors and nurses don’t have the masks, ventilators and supplies they need.”