Wisconsin woman says she got coronavirus despite taking hydroxychloroquine for years
© Getty Images

A Wisconsin woman who has taken the antimalarial drug hydroxychloroquine for years to treat lupus said she caught the coronavirus earlier this year.

The woman, who asked to be referred to as Kim, told a Wisconsin CBS affiliate she had taken the drug for 19 years but began experiencing coronavirus symptoms in mid-April. Kim said that she contracted the virus despite only leaving her home in Om Oconomowoc, Wis., to grocery shop after lockdown measures were imposed.

“When they gave the diagnosis, I felt like it was a death sentence. I was like, ‘I’m going to die,'” she said. “I’m like, ‘How can I be sick? How? I’m on the hydroxychloroquine.’ They were like, ‘Well, nobody’s ever said that was the cure or that was going to keep you safe’ and it definitely did not.”

ADVERTISEMENT

President TrumpDonald TrumpMajority of Americans in new poll say it would be bad for the country if Trump ran in 2024 ,800 bottle of whiskey given to Pompeo by Japan is missing Liz Cheney says her father is 'deeply troubled' about the state of the Republican Party MORE has frequently touted the drug as a potential prophylactic for the virus. This week, the president said that he has been taking it in combination with a zinc supplement as a preventative measure.

“A lot of good things have come out about the hydroxy. A lot of good things have come out. You’d be surprised at how many people are taking it, especially the front-line workers — before you catch it,” Trump said Monday at the White House.

Trump’s claim drew pushback from Democratic leaders, including House Speaker Nancy PelosiNancy PelosiLiz Cheney says her father is 'deeply troubled' about the state of the Republican Party 19 House Democrats call on Capitol physician to mandate vaccines Ohio special election: A good day for Democrats MORE (D-Calif.) and Senate Minority Leader Chuck SchumerChuck SchumerYouth organizations call on Biden to ensure 'bold' climate investments New York Times calls on Cuomo to resign 'The Squad' celebrates Biden eviction moratorium MORE (D-N.Y.), as well as Fox News’ Neil Cavuto, who cited a warning from the Food and Drug Administration that the drug has not been proven to be a safe or effective preventative treatment against the virus.

“You’re not safe taking that medication at all. [Hydroxychloroquine] is not going to prevent anything. You can still get coronavirus,” Kim told the outlet. “It kind of makes me mad that [Trump] thinks it’s going to do that and is telling the whole world it’s going to do that.”