Nevada governor recloses bars in effort to slow coronavirus spread

Nevada Gov. Steve SisolakSteve SisolakTrump campaign sues Nevada over expanded mail-in voting Trump notes GOP governor when asked why he backs mail-in voting in Florida Nevada governor signs bill to allow mail-in voting after Trump promises legal challenge MORE (D) announced Thursday that the state will reimplement restrictions on bars in some counties amid a spike in COVID-19 cases.

Sisolak confirmed that bars in Washoe and Clark counties must return to the state’s phase one restrictions on Friday, meaning that bars that do not serve food will have to close again on Friday at midnight. 

“We know that COVID can easily spread when people are congregating for long periods of time, like inside a bar,” Sisolak told reporters. He said the move came after a Thursday call with representatives from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services and the Federal Emergency Management Agency

ADVERTISEMENT

Sisolak said that other counties that could have to take the same precautions will be announced Friday.

Restaurants across the state will also have to close their bar areas and not serve parties of six or more patrons indoor or outdoors.

The governor also called on restaurants to continue to encourage outdoor dining amid the ongoing pandemic.  

Washoe County is home to Reno, and Clark County is home to Las Vegas, the two largest cities in the state. 

Last month, Sisolak issued a mandatory face mask policy for anyone in a public space.

Nevada has reported over 25,000 COVID-19 cases across the state and 574 fatalities. The state has seen an uptick in new coronavirus cases since beginning to reopen businesses last month.