MGM Resorts International will lay off the majority of workers in its entertainment and sports divisions effective Aug. 31, the company said, according to the Las Vegas Review-Journal.
The resort company said it hopes to rehire the laid-off workers, who had been furloughed already, once it is safe to reopen entertainment and sports venues. MGM has previously told about 63,000 employees they would be furloughed through the end of August but did not specify how many workers will be affected by the layoff notice, according to the newspaper.
“Given that it is unlikely that concerts and other entertainment events will be returning to Las Vegas in the next month, it has unfortunately impacted the employees who support those shows. We’ve pledged to be as transparent and supportive as possible with employees and are working to reduce the impact and help them moving forward,” MGM Resorts International Director of Media Relations Brian Ahern said in a statement.
“We’re continuing to coordinate with public officials and look forward to the time when we can bring back employees to support our entertainment offerings and relaunch entertainment for our guests,” he added.
Workers affected by the layoffs include venue managers, ushers and hotel entertainment directors, according to the newspaper. The company previously laid off several senior executives in May.
President of Entertainment and Sports George Kliavkoff said the company “remain[s] committed to reopening all of our entertainment venues” once it’s found to be safe.
“The decision about when to reinstate entertainment at our properties will continue to be drive by health and safety mandates and guidelines established by government agencies and by business demand,” he said, according to the Review-Journal.
Laid-off workers will be allowed to seek support for expenses such as rent, utilities and groceries through the $14 million Emergency Grant Fund for employees, the layoff announcement stated.