Cuomo says annual 9/11 light commemoration is back on
© Getty Images

The customary blue light tribute to mark the anniversary of the terrorist attacks on 9/11 in New York City will continue this year, after the memorial was previously canceled due to the coronavirus pandemic. 

New York Gov. Andrew CuomoAndrew CuomoState officials plead for more info on vaccine distribution plans Overnight Health Care: NIH chief: Trump has not met with task force in 'quite some time' | CDC reports 300,000 more deaths than expected this year | UK to start challenge trials for vaccine Cuomo: Travel within Tri-State area should be avoided due to COVID-19 spike MORE (D) announced Saturday that “I am glad that we can continue this powerful tribute to those we lost on 9/11 and to the heroism of all New Yorkers. We will #NeverForget.” 

“Honoring our 9/11 heroes is a cherished tradition. The twin towers of light signify hope, resiliency, promise and are a visual representation of #NewYorkTough,” Cuomo continued.

ADVERTISEMENT

The governor said New York will provide “health personnel & supervision” so that the 9/11 Memorial and Museum can hold the annual event in which two columns of blue light shine into the sky.  

Former New York City Mayor Michael BloombergMichael BloombergEverytown hits GOP on gun safety in closing .5M battleground ad barrage A closing argument: Why voters cannot trust Trump on healthcare Biden campaign swamps Trump on TV airwaves MORE, who serves as chairman for the 9/11 Memorial and Museum, tweeted Saturday "The 9/11 'Tribute in Light' will always be a beacon of the resilience and hope of this great city. I’m glad we will continue this tradition and remind the world of NY’s strength. Thank you to @NYGovCuomo for providing personnel and joining us to ensure the lights shine on." 


ADVERTISEMENT

The event was initially canceled this week over concerns that the coronavirus might spread among crews who work to create the lights that represent the World Trade Center. Nearly 40 stagehands and electricians work for over a week to create the tribute each year, according to the New York Times. 

9/11 Memorial and Museum President Alice M. Greenwald thanked Bloomberg, Cuomo and the Lower Manhattan Development Corp “for their assistance in offsetting the increased costs associated with the health and safety considerations around the tribute this year and the technical support of so many that will enable to Tribute to be a continuing source of comfort to families and an inspiration to the world going forward."

The columns are typically visible for a radius of up to 60 miles. The beams were first projected on March 11, 2002, six months after the attack.

The museum announced this week that instead of holding its traditional commemoration, during which relatives read the names of the the 2,983 victims of the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks and the 1993 bombing, a recording of the names will be broadcast in order to facilitate social distancing. There will also be an outdoor memorial for family members in New York City.