Jake Gardner, the white bar owner in Nebraska who was indicted in the fatal shooting a Black man during a protest, has reportedly died by suicide.

According to The Associated Press, Gardner’s attorney confirmed the news on Sunday after local police said they discovered Gardner's body outside a medical clinic in Oregon.

Gardner, 38, was indicted on charges of manslaughter, use of a firearm in the commission for a felony, attempted first-degree assault and making terrorist threats five days ago in the May shooting death of 22-year-old James Scurlock.


A warrant was also reportedly approved for Gardner's arrest on Friday.

Local officials said Gardner shot Scurlock on May 30 in Omaha shortly after confronting a group of men near his bar amid a demonstration against racism. Officials said Gardner was knocked down at some point and fired a couple of warning shots while trying to get back up. 

Officials said a struggle ensued between Gardner and Scurlock as he attempted to get up and Gardner fatally shot the 22-year-old Scurlock.

The Omaha shooting sparked outrage among protesters and came just several days after the police killing of George Floyd, a Black man who died after a white Minneapolis police officer was seen kneeling on his neck for more than eight minutes during an arrest.

Gardner claimed he acted in self-defense during the shooting and Douglas County Attorney Donald Kleine also concluded as much earlier this year when he announced he wouldn’t charge the bar owner.

Fredrick D. Franklin, who serves as assistant U.S. attorney in Omaha, was tapped as special prosecutor in the case and a grand jury was reportedly called after Kleine faced widespread backlash for not charging Gardner.

The charges announced last week, Franklin said, came after local police conducted dozens of interviews and evidence was gathered from Gardner’s phone, social media accounts and additional footage. 

According to the AP, Stu Dornan, an attorney for Gardner, said his client was “shook up” following the indictment, adding: “The grand jury indictment was a shock to him, and it was a shock to us." 

Local CBS affiliate KMTV reported that his attorneys also said Garner did not leave behind a note before taking his life.