Protesters gather outside DC police station over deadly moped crash
© Greg Nash

Protesters gathered outside of a Washington, D.C., police station Tuesday to request more information about a Friday moped crash that left a man dead after police tried to pull him over for not wearing a helmet.

Demonstrators broke two windows at the 4th District police station as they protested over the death of Karon Hylton, 20, D.C. police spokesperson Dustin Sternbeck told The Washington Post. Officers stood in a line outside the station amid the protests.

Videos from WUSA and NBC Washington reporters showed confrontations between the officers and protesters. The department reported on Twitter that parts of Georgia Avenue NW and other streets were closed due to the demonstration. 


The Metropolitan Police Department told The Hill there was no additional information beyond the D.C. Police Traffic Twitter page. 

Friday’s crash occurred after police attempted to make a traffic stop after seeing Hylton riding a Revel electric moped without a helmet. When Hylton exited the 700 block of Kennedy Street NW, his moped hit a vehicle traveling on Kennedy Street, police said. 

Hylton was taken to the hospital and died on Monday, NBC Washington reported. D.C. police have labeled Hylton’s death as a traffic fatality. 

The family and demonstrators blamed the police for Hylton’s death, and his mother demanded to be let in the station to see the officer who she said “killed her son,” according to NBC Washington. 

During the protest, a man used a metal trash can to smash the glass windows at the station.


Revel electric mopeds came to D.C. in August 2019. They require riders to wear helmets and answer a 21-question safety quiz.

Revel CEO Frank Reig told The Hill in a statement, "Our sympathies are with Mr. Hylton's family. As this incident is under investigation, we're awaiting more details at this time."

The company’s moped program stopped in New York City this summer after three riders were killed in separate crashes. It resumed and a fourth person was killed after being hit by someone riding a moped.