A roof collapse and explosion left four injured in Chandler, Ariz. on Thursday.
The roof of a printing shop located in a strip mall was found collapsed and the area was on fire when the city’s fire department arrived at the scene around 9:45 a.m. local time, ABC15 Arizona reported.
Authorities are investigating why the explosion occurred, but officials suspect it may have been due to a gas leak, according to ABC15 Arizona. Officials said that 15 businesses nearby had to be evacuated as well as between 20 to 30 homes.
Four people were injured, all of whom were male, though further information regarding their identities was not immediately available.
A battalion chief with the Chandler Fire Department said their conditions ranged from serious to critical and were all transported to the hospital, KPNX reported.
“It's not a building anymore, it's just a hole in the ground, and the fact that anybody walked away from that is really amazing to me," said Director of the Arizona Burn Center at Valleywise Health Kevin Foster, according to ABC15 Arizona. “It’s baffling that this explosion was of this magnitude, and the injuries were not worse than they are.”
Chandler police reported around 12 p.m. local time that there was no danger to the public and that that police and fire department officials would continue to be in the area “for an extended amount of time.”
PD/FD personnel will be in the area for an extended amount of time. There is no danger to the public.— Chandler Police (@ChandlerPolice) August 26, 2021
Arizona Rep. Greg StantonGregory (Greg) John StantonSinema trails potential primary challengers in progressive poll Roof collapse, explosion leaves four injured in Arizona Arizona governor withholding grants to schools with mask mandates MORE (D) said he had spoken with the city’s mayor following the chaotic event.
I've spoken with @chandlerazmayor about this developing situation, and I'm grateful to @ChandlerPolice and @ChandlerFire for their swift response.— Rep. Greg Stanton (@RepGregStanton) August 26, 2021
Please continue to avoid the area. https://t.co/5quyQZYJ0t
“I've spoken with @chandlerazmayor about this developing situation, and I'm grateful to @ChandlerPolice and @ChandlerFire for their swift response. Please continue to avoid the area,” Stanton tweeted on Thursday.