Lawyers for a woman who claims she was forced to have sex with Prince Andrew when she was underage have reportedly served the Duke of York with a sexual assault lawsuit, according to documents viewed by CNN.
Virginia Giuffre, now 38, has alleged the act occurred when she was 17 at the home of Ghislaine Maxwell in London and at properties owned by Jeffrey Epstein — allegations the prince has repeatedly denied.
"It didn't happen. I can absolutely categorically tell you it never happened. I have no recollection of ever meeting this lady, none whatsoever,” he said in a 2019 interview with the BBC.
The network reported that papers were delivered to the prince’s lawyer, Andrew B. Brettler, at the law firm of Lavely and Singer in Los Angeles on Monday and at the Royal Courts of Justice in London.
Prince Andrew's legal team previously claimed he had not been properly served notice of proceedings, a claim disputed by Giuffre's attorneys, who said the papers were served at the prince's home in Windsor, England, according to CNN.
U.S. District Judge Lewis Kaplan approved a request last week to use alternative methods to serve the suit to the prince, saying “service of the defendant's United States counsel is reasonably calculated to bring the papers served to the defendant's attention, regardless of whether his U.S. counsel is 'authorized' to accept service on his behalf."
Meanwhile, Andrew’s lawyers additionally have argued a previous settlement, which remains sealed according to CNN, absolves the prince of "any and all liability."
Federal guidelines give the Duke of York 21 days to respond to the suit, according to Reuters.
Epstein, a disgraced financier and sex offender, killed himself in prison in 2019 before he went on trial for sex trafficking.