Shooting at Houston school leaves school administrator wounded
Authorities are investigating a shooting at a Houston public charter school that left an administrator wounded on Friday.
Details remain unclear about what led to the shooting, but the suspected gunman surrendered to police officers and the administrator was taken to a hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.
The administrator is expected to be released Friday, according to ABC13 Houston.
Officials have only identified the school administrator as a white male. No additional details have been released regarding the victim.
Police said they responded to a call at 11:45 a.m. local time about a shooting at YES Prep Southwest Secondary, KPRC 2 Houston reported.
Houston Police Chief Troy Finner told reporters on Friday that a 25-year-old male suspect, who school officials said was a former student, shot through a glass door to get inside the building, according to ABC13 Houston.
The gunman shot a school administrator in the back using a rifle, police said.
Finner told reporters that no children had been injured during the shooting. The school has more than 1,000 students in grades grades six through 12, according to ABC13 Houston.
“I don’t think any kid, or anybody should witness this, but it’s the world that we live in,” Finner said, adding that they were praying for the administrator.
“The most important thing — a lot of times people don’t seek the help. If any kids or any school administrator, anybody that’s involved with this, seek some help through counseling,” Finner added.
The shooting comes just a day after a Tennessee boy reportedly shot a classmate at Cummings K-8 Optional School, which led the school to go into a lockdown. The boy, who is 13 years old, was charged with attempted murder.