The U.S. Attorney's office in Philadelphia announced it had charged 33-year-old Norman Leboon with making the threat against the second-ranking House Republican.

The U.S. Attorney alleged that Leboon made threats against Cantor in a YouTube video, which was subsequently removed.

Leboon would face a maximum of 15 years in prison and up to a $500,000 fine if convicted on all charges.

Cantor said last week that he was the subject of anti-lawmaker threats that had erupted in the wake of a contentious vote on healthcare legislation. The minority whip said a bullet had been shot through his campaign office's window, a shooting that was later determined by authorities to be random.

Update, 1:12 p.m.: According to Federal Election Commission (FEC) records, Leboon donated twice to then-Sen. Barack ObamaBarack Hussein ObamaCutting through the noise of COVID risk: Real-life consequences of oversimplification Russia-Ukraine conflict threatens U.S. prestige Appeasement doesn't work as American foreign policy MORE's (D-Ill.) presidential campaign in 2008. Leboon donated twice in June, totaling $505 in contributions. Update, 3:12 p.m.: The DNC said it is researching any contributions, and will donate any money from Leboon to charity.

Update, 2:07 p.m.: Cantor spokesman Brad Dayspring made the following comment on the charges:

“Over the weekend, Congressman Cantor was notified by law enforcement that a threat was made against his life. Law enforcement officials informed Congressman Cantor that the threat was determined as credible and they were responding accordingly. The Congressman was later notified that an arrest was made and a suspect was in custody.

"At this time, the Congressman will have no further comment on this threat or the investigation, and asks that inquiries be directed to the Federal Bureau of Investigation. The Congressman is deeply grateful for, and would like to dearly thank all local and federal law enforcement involved, including the Federal Bureau of Investigation, U.S. Attorney’s Office in Virginia and Philadelphia, U.S. Capitol Police and the Henrico Police Department in Virginia."