New Mexico solar observatory denies aliens involved in ‘security’ closure
© Getty Images

A New Mexico solar observatory this week denied aliens were involved in a security-related closure that began last week and is still in place.

“I can tell you it definitely wasn’t aliens,” a spokeswoman for the nonprofit that runs the observatory told The Washington Post.

It is still unclear what led to the evacuation and closure of the Sunspot Solar Observatory, which is typically open to the public. The Post reported that only the director and an assistant have been allowed into the building and even the security guards have reportedly been kept in the dark.

“We don’t know anything. We’re just as curious as anyone else,” one guard told the Post. 

The Post also reported the FBI has been on the scene, but local law enforcement has not been involved.

“They wouldn’t give us any ­details,” Otero County Sheriff Benny House told The Washington Post. “I’ve got ideas, but I don’t want to put them out there. That’s how bad press or rumors get started, and it’ll cause paranoia, or I might satisfy everybody’s mind and I might be totally off base.” 

However, the observatory does seem to recognize the interest its closure has sparked and hopes it will continue after it is reopened.

“With the excitement this closure has generated, we hope you will come and visit us when we do reopen, and see for yourself the services we provide for science and public outreach in heliophysics,” is posted on its website.

-This post was updated Sept. 20 at 6:06 p.m.