Director Bryan Singer to pay $150,000 over rape allegation
© Getty Images

Director Bryan Singer will pay $150,000 to settle claims of raping a 17-year-old boy in 2003, according to Variety.

Cesar Sanchez-Guzman claimed in the December 2017 lawsuit that the “X-Men” and “The Usual Suspects” director sexually assaulted him at a party in Seattle. Singer denied all the allegations.

ADVERTISEMENT

A bankruptcy trustee recommended the court approve a $150,000 settlement with Singer on Wednesday, according to the publication.

Although Sanchez-Guzman filed for bankruptcy in 2014, the bankruptcy trustee reopened the case last year, saying his claim against the director had not been listed as an asset, according to Variety.

Singer settling the claim was not an admission of guilt, his attorney Andrew Brettler said in a statement, according to the publication.

“Mr. Singer has denied even knowing this individual, let alone allegedly having interacted with him more than 15 years ago,” Brettler said, according to Variety.

“The decision to resolve the matter with the bankruptcy trustee was purely a business one, as litigation costs would well exceed the amount requested by the trustee to pay off the creditors who were owed money when the debtor filed for bankruptcy,” he added.

The agreement will put $61,000 of the settlement toward Sanchez-Guzman’s creditors. Most of their claims represent student loan debt, which is not dischargeable by bankruptcy.

“There should be at least nominal funds being returned to the debtor as surplus at the end of the case,” said an attorney for Nancy James, Sanchez-Guzman’s trustee.