Jon Stewart defends those attending Trump dinner
© Getty Images

Jon Stewart is defending those attending the White House Correspondents’ Association dinner.

“I think it’ll be entertaining,” the former “Daily Show” host told TMZ Monday, when asked about journalists and news organizations boycotting the April 29 event because of President Trump’s toxic relationship with the media.

“Look, it’s still a good cause,” Stewart — who headlined the 1997 dinner — said of the celeb-filled affair, which raises money for journalism students.

“The scholarships that they provide at that dinner, what they’re raising money for, is still a good cause,” Stewart, 54, said.

ADVERTISEMENT

“People got to follow their hearts, got to follow their conscience,” Stewart, who also indicated it's unlikely he'll attend this year, added.

“Listen, whether or not people go to the Correspondents’ dinner is clearly not the most pressing issue facing us these days,” Stewart said with a grin.

Vanity Fair and The New Yorker opted to nix their annual dinner-related events this year. Vanity Fair Editor in Chief Graydon Carter told the New York Times the reason for the retreat was because of “Trump” and “the fish.”

Late-night host Samantha Bee, a “Daily Show” veteran, also announced last month that she plans to host a counter event to the dinner, called the “Not the White House Correspondents’ Dinner,” in Washington the same evening as the gala. Bee said proceeds from the event will benefit the Committee to Protect Journalists.