Celebrity chef José Andrés claims Ivanka Trump barred him from reception
© Getty Images

Celebrity chef José Andrés said early on Sunday that he was kicked out of an Alfalfa Club dinner after-party at Cafe Milano after first daughter Ivanka TrumpIvana (Ivanka) Marie TrumpEx-Trump, progressive strategists battle over charges of anti-Semitism surrounding Eric Trump Ethics watchdog requests probe into Trump officials traveling to campaign events Trump praises Arizona governor's pick of Jon Kyl to succeed McCain MORE voiced complaints about his presence. 

Several other influential personalities immediately rallied to Andrés's defense on Sunday, while a source close to Trump denied that the incident took place, saying she had nothing to do with the event's guest list. The restaurant also denied it.

Andres tweeted later in the day that Ivanka Trump reached out to him and he accepted that she was not involved, as well as thanking Cafe Milano for the apology.

ADVERTISEMENT

"Thank you @CafeMilanoDC Franco Nuschese! I was a guest of the #alfalfaclubdinner2018 'everyone' welcome to the after party, but I’m the only individual not allow in? Is because @IvankaTrump told you so? You should be ashamed of yourself Franco," Andrés originally tweeted, referring to the venue's owner, Franco Nuschese.  

Andrés later tweeted that Ivanka Trump reached out to him. 

"I believe now that you personally had nothing to do [with it]," he said, going on to press for immigration reform.

He also said he appreciated the apology from Cafe Milano but that it was "still hard to understand why I was the only person not allowed in."

He indicated he didn't want a boycott of the restaurant on his behalf, which some supporters had called for earlier in the day.

Former Mexican Ambassador to China Jorge Guajardo had claimed earlier in the day that Andrés was asked to leave because "his presence made Ivanka Trump uncomfortable." It is unclear whether Guajardo was at the party.

Norm Eisen, former White House ethics lawyer to President Obama, on Sunday had advocated a boycott of Cafe Milano and suggested an alternative restaurant in Washington, D.C.

 

Celebrity chef and TV personality Anthony Bourdain also jumped to Andrés's defense on Twitter, calling the allegations "loathsome."

Cafe Milano said Andrés is always welcome.

Andrés, who owns multiple restaurants, has a fraught history with the Trump family. 

He canceled his planned restaurant in the president's D.C. hotel after Trump announced his candidacy with a speech that many found racist against Hispanics. 

The Trump Organization settled a legal battle with Andrés after his decision to cancel the planned restaurant. 

— Updated 3:55 p.m.