Comedian Michelle Wolf will take the reins at this year’s White House Correspondents’ Association (WHCA) dinner, the group announced Thursday.
“I’m delighted to announce ‘Nice Lady' Michelle Wolf as our featured entertainer this year,” WHCA President Margaret Talev said in a Thursday statement.
“Our dinner honors the First Amendment and strong, independent journalism. Her embrace of these values and her truth-to-power style make her a great friend to the WHCA,” said Talev. “Her Pennsylvania roots, stints on Wall Street and in science and self-made, feminist edge make her the right voice now.”
Wolf, who recently inked a deal with Netflix for a weekly show, is a former contributor and writer for Comedy Central’s “The Daily Show.” Her HBO special, “Michelle Wolf: Nice Lady,” premiered last year. The 32-year-old worked at Bear Stearns and JPMorgan Chase & Co. before making the leap into comedy.
Wolf follows a long list of comedians who have been tapped to crack one-liners at the gathering of journalists, lawmakers and celebrities, including 2017 performer Hasan Minhaj, former Comedy Central star Larry Wilmore, "Saturday Night Live's" Cecily Strong, and late-night hosts Conan O'Brien, Seth Meyers, Jimmy Kimmel, Jay Leno and Stephen Colbert, among others.
The choice of Wolf comes at a time when the annual dinner in Washington, scheduled this year for April 28, is under an increasingly intense spotlight.
President TrumpDonald TrumpStowaway found in landing gear of plane after flight from Guatemala to Miami Kushner looking to Middle East for investors in new firm: report GOP eyes booting Democrats from seats if House flips MORE, who has had an often-toxic relationship with the press and has called “fake news” the “enemy of the people,” broke tradition last year when he famously skipped the correspondents’ association dinner, which raises money for journalism scholarships.
Instead, Trump held a campaign-style event in Pennsylvania the same night as 2017's "Nerd Prom," becoming the first president to miss the dinner since Ronald Reagan, who didn't attend in 1981 while recovering from an assassination attempt.
On Monday, the Daily Mail briefly reported that the president would be at the black-tie gala after an apparent miscommunication with his press office. The Mail quickly walked back its report after the White House issued clarification.
"Really sorry, totally misread your email,” press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders said to the publication. "No decision has been made on WHCA dinner.”