Paul McCartney attends ‘March For Our Lives’: I lost my best friend to gun violence
Music legend Paul McCartney made a surprise appearance at the “March For Our Lives” in New York on Saturday to speak out in support of gun control, telling a CNN reporter that the death of bandmate John Lennon was the inspiration for his attendance.
In an interview with the news network, McCartney said he doesn’t know whether meaningful gun control is possible in the United States, but that he hopes America’s gun violence epidemic can end.
“You know, I’m like everyone. I don’t know [if gun control legislation can be passed],” McCartney said. “But this is what we can do, and I’m here to do it.”
“One of my best friends was killed in gun violence right around here,” he added, referring to Lennon’s murder outside his Manhattan apartment in 1980. “So it’s important to me.”
Lennon was killed by Mark David Chapman in 1980 outside his home after returning from a studio with his wife, Yoko Ono.
McCartney was one of thousands of people who attended marches against gun violence in all 50 states, Washington D.C., and countries around the world on Saturday to commemorate victims of gun violence and call for tougher gun control measures.
The former Beatles member has spoken out in defense of liberal causes before, including last November when he criticized President Trump directly for his views on climate change.
McCartney endorsed Hillary Clinton during the 2016 presidential election, tweeting a picture with the candidate captioned “She’s with me.”
The march was organized by students of Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Fla., where a gunman killed 17 students and faculty in a mass shooting last month.
Saturday’s marches were attended by numerous celebrities and politicians, while others tweeted support for demonstrators around the country.
The Hill has removed its comment section, as there are many other forums for readers to participate in the conversation. We invite you to join the discussion on Facebook and Twitter.