Comedian T.J. Miller arrested at LaGuardia, accused of bomb threat
© Getty Images

Actor and comedian T.J. Miller was arrested at New York's LaGuardia Airport on Monday for allegedly making a false bomb threat.

A press release from the U.S. attorney for the District of Connecticut confirmed that Miller was arrested and charged with intentionally giving false information to authorities about an explosive device, supposedly on a train headed for New York.

Miller was fired from the hit HBO show "Silicon Valley" last year, and also had his Comedy Central show "The Gorburger Show" canceled over sexual assault allegations dating back to his time in college. Miller and his wife have denied the allegations.

The criminal complaint says Miller called 911 on March 18 and told a police dispatcher that he was aboard an Amtrak train traveling from Washington, D.C., to New York and that a passenger onboard, a woman described as "having brown hair and a scarf," had an explosive device in her luggage.


According to the press release, Miller was indeed on the train but had become intoxicated and been involved in "hostile exchanges" with the woman targeted by the threat. When police mobilized and stopped the train in Connecticut to search the train and the passenger, they found no explosive device.

It was unclear from the release what provoked the exchanges between Miller and the woman, but a train attendant told investigators that Miller had appeared intoxicated before boarding and had consumed more alcoholic beverages on board.

Miller, the Justice Department alleges, phoned in the bomb threat as a way to settle a "grudge" against the woman. The maximum sentence for the charge of intentionally phoning in a false bomb threat is five years in prison, according to the release.

"This is the first time I’ve ever made a call like this before. I am worried for everyone on that train. Someone has to check that lady out," Miller allegedly told the dispatcher.

The comedian then "continued to convey false information to investigators while the public safety response was ongoing," the complaint alleges.