ABC announces 'Roseanne' spinoff without Roseanne Barr

ABC announced Thursday that it has picked up a spinoff of "Roseanne" but it will not feature the show's star, Roseanne Barr.

"The Conners," which is the spinoff's working title, will premier in the fall with 10 episodes, according to an announcement from ABC Entertainment.

The show will follow the Conner family and will feature former "Roseanne" castmembers John Goodman, Laurie Metcalf, Sara Gilbert, Lecy Goranson and Michael Fishman.

ADVERTISEMENT

“We have received a tremendous amount of support from fans of our show, and it’s clear that these characters not only have a place in our hearts, but in the hearts and homes of our audience. We all came back last season because we wanted to tell stories about the challenges facing a working- class family today. We are so happy to have the opportunity to return with the cast and crew to continue to share those stories through love and laughter," the cast said in a statement. 

The announcement comes less than a month after the "Roseanne" reboot was canceled after Barr made a racist comment about former Obama administration adviser Valerie Jarrett.

ABC Entertainment said Barr will not have any role in the new show. 

The reboot of "Roseanne" earlier this year starred Barr, 65, as a supporter of President Trump who was politically at odds with the rest of her family. 

The show, which debuted in March, enjoyed high ratings. 

But Barr faced swift blowback after attacking Jarrett in a since-deleted tweet May 29, saying she was a child of the Islamist organization Muslim Brotherhood and the movie "Planet of the Apes."

"Muslim brotherhood & planet of the apes had a baby=vj,” Barr wrote, using Jarrett's initials.

The message was in response to a tweet accusing Jarrett of helping to "hide" misdeeds for the Obama administration.

Barr faced wide backlash for the tweet, leading ABC Entertainment to quickly cancel the show. 

"There was only one thing to do here, and that was the right thing," Disney CEO Bob Iger said at the time.

Barr later apologized for the tweet. 

Barr and the show's executive producer Tom Werner said Thursday that they reached an agreement on the future of the show. 

“I regret the circumstances that have caused me to be removed from Roseanne. I agreed to the settlement in order that 200 jobs of beloved cast and crew could be saved, and I wish the best for everyone involved," Barr said in a statement.