Rihanna sends Trump cease-and-desist letter for playing her music at rally
© Getty Images

Rihanna’s legal team reportedly sent President TrumpDonald John TrumpGillibrand backs federal classification of third gender: report Former Carter pollster, Bannon ally Patrick Caddell dies at 68 Heather Nauert withdraws her name from consideration for UN Ambassador job MORE a cease-and-desist letter after one of her songs was played during the president’s rally in Chattanooga, Tenn., on Sunday.

“It has come to our attention that President Trump has utilized [Rihanna’s] musical compositions and master recordings, including her hit track ‘Don’t Stop the Music,’ in connection with a number of political events held across the United States,” the star’s legal team said in a letter to the president’s White House counsel, Rolling Stone reported on Monday night. 

“As you are or should be aware, Ms. Fenty has not provided her consent to Mr. Trump to use her music. Such use is therefore improper,” the letter obtained by the publication continued, referring to the singer's legal name, Robyn Rihanna Fenty. 

ADVERTISEMENT

Rihanna vowed on Twitter on Sunday night that she would not allow her songs to be played at another one of the president’s “tragic rallies.”

She made the remark in response to a tweet from Washington Post correspondent Philip Rucker, who said: “It’s been said a million times, but here’s a million and one — Trump’s rallies are unlike anything else in politics. Currently, Rihanna’s ‘Don’t Stop the Music’ is blaring in Chattanooga as aides toss free Trump T-shirts into the crowd, like a ball game. Everyone’s loving it.”

“Not for much longer,” Rihanna responded on Twitter. “Me nor my people would ever be at or around one of those tragic rallies, so thanks for the heads up Philip!”

The move comes a week after Pharrell Williams sent Trump a cease-and-desist letter after his song, “Happy,” was played at a rally just hours after last month's Pittsburgh synagogue shooting. 

A number of other musical artists have also called for their songs to no longer be played at Trump's public events, including members of Prince's estate, Aerosmith's Steven Tyler, Twisted Sister and Elton John.