Oscars officially going forward without a host
© Getty Images

The Academy of Motion Pictures Arts and Sciences will present the 2019 Oscars without an official host for the first time in 30 years.

An Academy spokesperson on Tuesday confirmed the decision to ABC News, a move that comes months after comedian and actor Kevin Hart elected to step down from hosting the event after anti-gay tweets and comments he made during previous stand-up routines resurfaced.

Many of the tweets were posted between 2009 and 2011 and have since been deleted. 

ADVERTISEMENT

“I have made the choice to step down from hosting this year's Oscar’s,” Hart said on Twitter in December. “This is because I do not want to be a distraction on a night that should be celebrated by so many amazing talented artists. I sincerely apologize to the LGBTQ community for my insensitive words from my past.”

Variety first reported in December that the Academy was exploring if it could hold the annual awards ceremony, set to take place on Feb. 24, without a host. 

ABC News noted that the last time the event was held without a host was in 1989, after producer Allan Carr decided to have more presenters instead of one MC. 

ABC Entertainment President Karey Burke told reporters on Tuesday that the controversy involving Hart has had a positive outcome because it's kept the Oscars "in the conversation."

“It’s really compelling. People really care,” Burke told reporters during the Winter Television Critics Association Press Tour in Pasadena, Calif., according to Entertainment Weekly

She later said that ABC and the Academy would “stay the course" in regards to how it presents the Oscars.

"There was an idea to just have presenters do the Oscars," Burke said. "We all got on board with that quickly. The main goal that the academy promised ABC last year was to keep the show to three hours. Producers decided to not have a host and to go back to having presenters being stars. That’s the best way to keep the show to a brisk three hours.”