In The Know

Chicago police say phone records in Jussie Smollett case ‘limited and heavily redacted’

Getty Images

Chicago police say phone records submitted by actor Jussie Smollett as part of their investigation into an alleged racist attack against him are “not sufficient.”

“We are very appreciative of the victim’s cooperation,” Chicago Police Department chief communications officer Anthony Guglielmi told ITK in a statement Tuesday. “However the records provided do not meet the burden for a criminal investigation, as they were limited and heavily redacted.”

{mosads}The “Empire” star and singer told police last month that he was assaulted by two men who placed a rope around his neck and beat him with their fists. Smollett also alleged that the two men, who were wearing masks, poured an unknown substance on him.

In a later interview with police, Smollett said the suspects shouted the pro-Trump phrase “MAGA country” during the ambush.

President Trump called the attack “horrible” when asked about it shortly after reports surfaced.

“Jussie is the victim here, which has been stated by the Superintendent of Police. Jussie has voluntarily provided his phone records from within an hour of the attack and given multiple statements to police,” a spokesman for the actor said in a statement to ITK. “Chicago PD has repeatedly informed us that they find Jussie’s account of what happened that night consistent and credible. Superintendent Johnson has been clear from day one that Jussie is a victim. We are continuing to work closely with the Chicago PD and remain confident that they will find Jussie’s attackers and bring them to justice.”

The spokesman added: “Any redacted information was intended to protect the privacy of personal contacts or high-profile individuals not relevant to the attack.” 

Police had requested phone records from Smollett as part of their investigation. The 35-year-old entertainer had reportedly told authorities that he was on the phone with his manager just before the early-morning attack.

“Detectives may be following up with the victim to request additional data to corroborate the investigative timeline,” Guglielmi said Tuesday.

Chicago Police also told ITK that there are no updates about possible suspects in the case.

—Updated at 1:54 p.m.

Tags Chicago Police Department Donald Trump Hate crime Smollett attack
See all Hill.TV See all Video

Most Popular

Load more

Video

See all Video