Fox says it’s considering its options regarding Jussie Smollett’s future on “Empire” in the wake of the actor’s arrest for allegedly orchestrating a phony attack against himself.

“We understand the seriousness of this matter and we respect the legal process,” 20th Century Fox Television and Fox Entertainment said in a Thursday statement to ITK shortly after Chicago police held a news conference calling Smollett’s claims of a racist and homophobic attack against him a “publicity stunt.”

“We are evaluating the situation and we are considering our options,” the studio said in its statement.

ADVERTISEMENT

The remarks from Fox came less than 24 hours after the same team behind “Empire” had issued what it called a “statement of support” for Smollett.

“Jussie Smollett continues to be a consummate professional on set,” Fox had said on Wednesday, denying a report that the actor was being written off the show.

Smollett was arrested and charged with felony disorderly conduct for allegedly filing a false police report. The 36-year-old performer had claimed to Chicago police last month that two men beat him, tied a rope around his neck and poured an unknown chemical substance on him.

But authorities said Thursday that Smollett had paid the men $3,500 to stage a bogus attack.

“This stunt was orchestrated by Smollett because he was dissatisfied with his salary,” Chicago Police Superintendent Eddie Johnson said at a press conference.