Prince Harry, Megan Markle file suit over publication of private letter
© Getty Images

Prince Harry and wife Meghan MarkleMeghan MarklePrince Harry, Megan Markle file suit over publication of private letter Michelle Obama praises Meghan Markle as 'an inspiration' Prince Harry launches initiative to tackle travel industry's impact on climate MORE are filing a lawsuit against a British tabloid for allegedly publishing portions of a private letter written by Markle.

Prince Harry released a statement Tuesday announcing the suit, saying "we have never needed responsible media more."

ADVERTISEMENT

The prince went on to say that Markle — whom he married last year — has become "one of the latest victims of a British tabloid press that wages campaigns against individuals with no thought to the consequences – a ruthless campaign that has escalated over the past year."

"Up to now, we have been unable to correct the continual misrepresentations - something that these select media outlets have been aware of and have therefore exploited on a daily and sometimes hourly basis," the statement continued.

The couple, he announced, is suing Associated Newspapers, which owns the Mail on Sunday, for "the misuse of private information, infringement of copyright and breach of the Data Protection Act 2018."

Prince Harry, the sixth in line to the British throne, claimed that the content of the letter was published in a misleading way, "by strategically omitting select paragraphs, specific sentences, and even singular words to mask the lies they had perpetuated for over a year."

He also alluded to his mother, Princess Diana, who was hounded by the press until her tragic death in 1997 after injuries sustained in a car crash following a pursuit by the paparazzi in Paris.

"Though this action may not be the safe one, it is the right one," Prince Harry said. "Because my deepest fear is history repeating itself. I’ve seen what happens when someone I love is commoditised to the point that they are no longer treated or seen as a real person. I lost my mother and now I watch my wife falling victim to the same powerful forces."

The 35-year-old Harry said he and Markle, an American-born actress who gave birth to the pair's first child, son Archie, in May, would privately fund the lawsuit. Any proceeds from damages potentially awarded in the case would be donated to an anti-bullying charity, he said.