'Queer Eye' star Karamo Brown says his family has gotten death threats over his Sean Spicer support
© Getty Images

"Queer Eye" star Karamo Brown says his family started receiving death threats after he defended fellow "Dancing With the Stars" contestant Sean SpicerSean Michael Spicer'A Warning' replaces Donald Trump Jr.'s 'Triggered' as No.1 book on NYT bestseller list Sarah Sanders defends Trump: He reads 'more than anybody I know' The Hill's Morning Report - Witness transcripts plow ground for public impeachment testimony MOREPresident TrumpDonald John TrumpSanders urges impeachment trial 'quickly' in the Senate US sending 20,000 troops to Europe for largest exercises since Cold War Barr criticizes FBI, says it's possible agents acted in 'bad faith' in Trump probe MORE's former press secretary.

"The minute that my son started getting death threats was the worst moment for me because a lot of it wasn't coming from the other side, it was coming from my own side," Brown said Wednesday on BuzzFeed News's "AM2DM."

"It hurt my heart — I'm kind of getting emotional now — because I just never thought in my heart that people would look at me, and think as a black, gay man living in America, that I was somehow part of the enemy," he added.

ADVERTISEMENT

Brown made headlines in August after controversy erupted over former Trump spokesman Spicer being named one of the celebrity contestants on ABC's dancing competition.

"I’m excited to sit down w/ him and engage in a respectful conversations. Only way things get better is if we try to educate those who have different POV than us,” Brown, 39, tweeted after the Spicer casting announcement.

"We're in a place where people are really feeling on edge, and if you feel encouraged enough to speak to someone and reach out to them, who has different political views, you should do so because I felt it. And I will never feel bad for doing what I know is right in my heart," he told BuzzFeed.

On a Tuesday night appearance on Bravo's "Watch What Happens Live," Brown said the death threats were toward his son and prompted the Netflix personality to deactivate his Twitter account.

Brown said the threatening messages came because "I was nice to Sean Spicer — there was no friendship. I was just saying that if we're going to be on the same show, I'm going to have a respectful conversation with someone who's different from me."

Brown got the boot from "Dancing With the Stars" during last week's show.

Spicer has remained in the competition, which includes votes from viewers, despite low scores from the show's judges

"I was robbed. I should have still been there," Brown told "Watch What Happens Live" host Andy Cohen.

Brown also criticized Trump for tweeting his support of Spicer.

"Our president, who should be doing other stuff, has been tweeting vote for the man," he said.