Harvey Weinstein: 'I pioneered' emphasis on women-directed movies
© Getty Images

Harvey Weinstein, who's been accused by multiple women of sexual misconduct ranging from harassment to rape, says he deserves credit for being a "pioneer" when it comes to Hollywood films directed by women.

"I made more movies directed by women and about women than any filmmaker, and I’m talking about 30 years ago," the former producer said in a recent interview with the New York Post's Page Six.

"I’m not talking about now when it’s vogue. I did it first! I pioneered it!” Weinstein, 67, said in the interview conducted at New York-Presbyterian/Weill Cornell Medical Center.

ADVERTISEMENT

Citing massive pay days for stars such as Gwyneth Paltrow when he headed up the Weinstein Company and how he bought the distribution rights to the 1990 drag ball documentary "Paris is Burning," Weinstein said, “This was a company that took social issues and tackled them."

Paltrow has spoken out against Weinstein, saying he sexually harassed her and telling The New York Times in 2017, "This way of treating women ends now."

Weinstein has pleaded not guilty to charges that he raped a woman in a Manhattan hotel room in 2013 and engaged a different woman in a forcible sex act in 2006. He has repeatedly said that all sexual acts were consensual.

Declining to address the charges and accusations against him by dozens of women on Friday, Weinstein lamented, "I feel like the forgotten man."

His professional and charity efforts, Weinstein said, "all got eviscerated because of what happened."

"My work has been forgotten," he said.

ADVERTISEMENT

While the former film exec appeared in court last week using a walker, saying through his attorney that he was poised to undergo surgery for a back injury, he was later photographed walking unassisted. He told the Post he agreed to the interview to show that he wasn't exaggerating his medical condition.

“I want this city to recognize who I was instead of what I’ve become,” Weinstein told the paper.

A New York judge raised Weinstein’s bail last week, citing infractions concerning his electronic ankle monitor.

The New York Times reported the same day as his court appearance that Weinstein and his former studio had reached a $25 million deal with dozens of his accusers.

The settlement, which has not been finalized, would not mandate Weinstein to admit wrongdoing or pay any of his own money to the victims, lawyers told the Times. 

The accusations against Weinstein helped spark a wave of sexual misconduct allegations against powerful men in media and politics as part of the "Me Too" movement.