Lifetime to release sequel to 'Surviving R. Kelly'
© Getty Images

Lifetime will release a sequel to its successful docuseries “Surviving R. Kelly” starting Thursday, following last year’s series receiving about 26 million views. 

The sequel, titled “Surviving R. Kelly Part II: The Reckoning,” will feature almost 70 interviews, including with two alleged survivors who have not spoken publicly yet and Tiffany Hawkins, the first woman to file charges against the R&B star, The Associated Press reported

The six-hour docuseries will air over three nights, with two hours per night Thursday through Saturday. It will feature interviews from survivors, supporters, psychologists, and cultural and legal experts, according to Lifetime’s announcement.  

ADVERTISEMENT

This year, R. Kelly will be in prison when the series about him airs, which was not the case a year ago. The original docuseries sparked a downward spiral for the star, including his record label dropping him and charges being brought against him in multiple jurisdictions.

But Brie Miranda Bryant, the senior vice president of unscripted development at Lifetime, said that was not the goal of the series.

“It’s not really about R. Kelly. It’s about sexual violence against women in general and how we change that dialogue,” she told the AP. 

“For Lifetime, in general, and my colleagues, it’s about continuing to be a platform for women’s stories, period, and that, to us, that is justice,” Bryant added.

Kelly is awaiting trial in Cook County, Ill., in September and then will head to federal court in Chicago and New York. He has continued to deny the allegations of sexually assaulting minors.