Google ordered to turn over ‘Empire’ actor’s emails to special prosecutor
Google has been ordered to turn over actor Jussie Smollett’s emails and other private information to a special prosecutor investigating the allegedly staged attack reported by the “Empire” actor last year, The Chicago Tribune reported Wednesday.
A Cook County judge on Dec. 6 signed off on two warrants ordering Google to supply the information, according to a copy of the warrants obtained by the Tribune.
Investigators’ reportedly sought Smollett’s emails, photos, location data and private messages from November 2018 to November 2019.
The warrants are part of the investigation of special prosecutor Dan Webb, who was appointed to the case in August the State Attorney’s office dropped charges against Smollett for allegedly filing a false report claiming he was the victim of a racist and homophobic attack at the end of January 2019.
It’s not clear if Google has handed over the data on Smollett and his manager, according to the Tribune. A spokesperson for the company told the newspaper he could not comment on specific requests for records from law enforcement.
A Google spokesperson was not immediately available for comment when contacted by The Hill Wednesday night.
Smollett had told Chicago police last year that he was assaulted by two men that he alleged beat him, placed a rope around his neck and poured unknown chemical substances on him as they yelled racial and homophobic slurs.
Police originally said Smollett was the victim of a “possible hate crime,” but later accused the actor of staging the attack and paying the two alleged attackers. Police accused Smollett of orchestrating the attack because he was dissatisfied with the salary he was getting on “Empire.”
Smollett has denied the allegations of staging the attack.