Weinstein's Los Angeles prosecution to proceed after New York sentencing
© Getty Images

Prosecutors in Los Angeles are preparing to move forward with sexual misconduct charges against disgraced movie mogul Harvey Weinstein following his conviction Monday on separate charges in New York.

Los Angeles Deputy District Attorney Paul Thompson told New Yorker journalist Ronan Farrow that the city is "definitely proceeding" with its own set of counts against Weinstein.

Charges including four counts of sexual assault were filed against Weinstein in California as his New York trial began last month, and are now expected to proceed following his March 11 sentencing for the two counts on which he was found guilty: one count of third-degree rape, and one count of a criminal sexual act for forcing a model to perform oral sex on him.

“We were working on investigating those cases. In regard to the victims in this case and other sexual assault cases, it was very challenging to get those victims to open up and tell us what they needed to tell us,” Los Angeles County District Attorney Jackie Lacey said in January, according to the Los Angeles Times. “For some, it was very embarrassing — terrifying — and so [we] told them we were just working to get the evidence we need to get to court.”

Weinstein currently faces up to 25 years in prison for the most egregious of the New York charges, and could ultimately face up to 28 years in state prison for the California charges.