Bebe Winans says he, his brother and his mother had contracted the coronavirus
© Getty Images

Famed gospel singer Bebe Winans said in a radio interview this week that he had recently come down with the novel coronavirus, along with his brother and mother, and is now recovering.

During an appearance on "The Joe Madison Show" on Sirius XM, the “Lost Without You” singer said he had contracted the virus after traveling from New York to Detroit recently to attend his friend’s funeral.

"Sometimes, for some reason, we as a people, when we look in and we look at television and various things that's going on around us, we somehow say, that can't happen to me for some reason," Winans, 57, said. "I don't know why, but sometimes we believe that, and even myself being cautious, when the outbreak started, I did just a little travel.”


“I was actually in New York and I was like, well, I'm going to Detroit because I had a friend pass and we were having a funeral and just that little travel, I caught it,” he continued. 

Winans said he didn’t begin to experience symptoms of the virus until he arrived back home. 

“I just started coughing out of nowhere,” he recalled. “And, you know, you get concerned. And the fatigue came on, and the chills, and appetite went away.”

Winans said he called his doctor shortly after exhibiting symptoms, but added he didn’t go to the hospital at the time because “if you're not in need of a respirator they won't even take you.”

“My brother, now, got to the point where he had to go to the hospital ... A fever and pneumonia set in and so for four or five days, he was there,” Winans revealed, while also adding that his mother was also “touched by it for four or five days.” 

He then went on to thank God for his recovery, saying, "I'm a man of faith and just raised in and in my mind, I'm just concrete in the subject matter that God is greater than everything.” 

However, he added that it is still “so important for us to use common sense” amid the outbreak, as government officials and health experts have urged the public to avoid large gatherings and unnecessary travel to curb the spread of the virus.

“So, being on the other side of it now, I'm just grateful that the word — I just finished my run and through the whole run, I was just saying, 'God, I thank you. I thank you because it could have been a different outcome for me and my family,'” he said.

He also said that he has “learned to be more grateful for life itself” after the experience. 

“Forget about homes and automobiles and all these things. You can't take none of that. That means nothing to you when your health is gone,” he said.